Don't get me wrong.... I LOVE my job and being a nurse. But I am YET to meet a recovery nurse that enjoys a weekend of call. (actually ANY staff member that enjoys it) It can be a LOOONNGGG grueling weekend of carrying an annoying non-stop beeping machine that you hold on to in anticipation and NEVER knowing when it will go off. - unless you are trying to do something productive.. (that part never fails) Starting laundry? - It will go off. Going to make a quick run to the store? It will go off. It seriously never fails!
Staying up all night, countless hours on your feet, and lots of back and forth make it easy to fall off track with your nutrition and workouts. It is just all the more tempting to grab a candy bar, crap food in the break room and just lay around when you actually get a break - I'm here to tell you that there ARE ways to hold your own with your goals during these long weekends! Here are a few of the things that have worked for me!
NUMBER ONE TIP: FAIL TO PLAN AND PLAN TO FAIL.
1. Don't drink your calories and sugar content! All that soda will not make you more awake...SERIOUSLY. It will only make you bloated, more thirsty and just plan GROSS. Stick to coffee (black if you can) - and treat yourself to a glorious coffee drink! Don't go for the overloaded frapp if you can help it - my go to? - non-dairy latte with 1 pump of sugar free syrup. DELISH!
2. Shakeology. These glorious packets save your life! Take your shaker bottle with you - find some ice and water and shake shake shake! IF you can....make a smoothie with it before you head in and leave it in the fridge! You can drink it in between cases :) or sip on it while you work for continued energy!
3. WATER. Drink lots of it! It will make you feel better!!
4. Pack snacks: protein bars, small candy bars for a treat, raw veggies, almonds, k-cups, a sandwich, hardboiled eggs. YOU GUYS - its NOT hard to pack snacks! This will save you from the hanger demons. Believe me - you don't want to see that side of me...
5. Be efficient with your breaks. Get up and MOVE yourself! Can't leave? Run the stairs! Take the long way around. Walk laps. Go outside and do some burpees and lunges. Be prepared by packing a set of workout clothes and shoes and leave them in your car - if you get the chance to sneak away to the gym you are ready to rock! Another awesome tip - be a Beachbody club member - access to a TON of workouts from your phone or computer (or any device with internet access) - you can find a quick workout to do in your free time!
6. Sleep when you can. You are absolutely exhausted right? No shame in turning it in early! YOUR BODY AND MIND NEEDS REST so do it!
7. Take advantage of time at home. Eat a healthy meal - "not TIME for supper" who cares! If you are hungry - eat something good for you while you can :)
UNTIL you can do this? (best feeling ever) - follow these tips to stay on track!
Now you tell me: Does your job require long hours or overnight hours? Do any of you work on call? How do you survive and stay on track??
Runner. Lifter. Girlboss. Entrepreneur. Nurse. Coach.