Well you know since I'm a nerd and all I thought it would be fun to google an ingredient on the back of my Shakeology and do a little education for myself... and you too! You have probably seen me post my shakes and smoothie bowls or even talk about how Shakeology has helped me lower my cholesterol - but I want to keep LEARNING about the ingredients. Because honestly I LOVE salads, but they have not been sitting with me well and I'm finding it's been harder to get in my greens and nutrients. But this is such an easy way to get them in when it tastes like ice cream ... and you can't exactly find MACA here in North Dakota (unless you purchase the powder of course...) but I already got it! So .. why should you care about Maca and WTF is it?
Super Maca Monday
So what are the benefits of Maca Root? I found a great article on Dr. Ax's site (his info is great btw!)
Maca root is an adaptogen! What is an adaptogen? It's a nutrient that has properties that help fight off illness - anything from the common cold, the flu or even cancer. The root is grown in the mountains of Peru and is usually harvested and then ground into a powder for use. The LOCALS in this area have it daily!
It has over 20 amino acids (including 8 essential amino acids)
20 free form fatty acids
Vitamins B-1, B-2, C and E
Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Zinc, Manganese, Phosphorus, Selenium, Sulphur, Sodium and Iron!
So what are some of the BENEFITS of all of this?
1. Believed to help control estrogen levels in the body - for PMS, Menopause and Polcystic Ovarian Syndrome in women
2. Positive effect on women's hormones - regulating menopausal women's moods and also decreasing the levels of anxiet and depression! -
3. Increased libido! - yup - studies have proven it ;)
4. Helps improve fertility for men
5. Those who use maca have reported more energy, feeling more awake and driven and also feeling more POSITIVE in mindset.
6. Antioxidant booster - helps improve your resistance to disease and helps balance cholesterol and blood sugars
So basically - it helps keep you from NOT getting sick.
Helps you feel HAPPIER and more ENERGIZED
Makes you wanna get some
And helps those "crazy hormone" shifts that happen each month
Have you ever tried maca? - if so...in what form?
Have you tried Shakeology?
Email me for a sample and learn how to give it a try yourself!
Cookie and Treats Baker. R.N. Nutrition Nerd. Runner. <3 Coffee. Fitness. Foodie. In pursuit of finding my own kind of balance...
Peppermint Cocoa Shake for the Holidays!
Weekly Recap, Links from Around the Web and Almost 30
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately