I'm a snack queen. Yup. Dig in m purse and i guarantee you will always find something - But what about when you can't stop snacking..you find yourself grabbing something every time you walk through the kitchen or break room...you zone out during the SVU marathon and realize you are down to the crumbs in the spicy doritos bag...or you seriously just ALWAYS feel hungry. Why are you a never ending pit...what can you do to make sure you aren' t just snacking out or boredom and other tips. While I never claim to be an expert I will simply share my own experiences.
Tips about The Snack Attack!
1. Mindfulness. Ask yourself...am I actually hungry or am I just bored? Is it just a habit to always just pop this in my mouth when I walk by? How will I feel AFTER I eat this...satisfied? full? Slow down. Ask yourself these questions and then decide if you truly want and need it or are doing it just out of habit.
2. What is it you always find yourself craving? Is it something sweet? Something salty? What adjustments could you make to work WITH your craving vs telling yourself you can't have it? (which you shouldn't be doing anyway...don't restrict yourself silly!) For example - I LOVE CHOCOLATE! Do I ever tell myself I can't have it? NO! Have a couple dark chocolate dove pieces. Have a chocolate flavored protein bar that will stick with you longer than three cookies.
3. Fail to Plan or Plan to Fail. Keep stuff on hand when the snack attack hits! If all you have is oreos that is what you will eat. (Hey, I'm not hating on oreos but I'm just sayin) - To find a snack that actually satisfies you pair a protein + a carb + a fat! Some examples: greek yogurt and apple, fruit + peanut butter, cottage cheese + fruit, protein bar, lean meats + crackers - etc! (would definitely be able to do a post by me the snack queen)
4. Are you eating enough at meals? Take an assessment and legit track what you are eating! Apps like My Fitness Pal, Counting containers as in the portion fix system or simply by keeping a pen and paper food journal is super helpful and will make you AWARE of what you are actually taking in. You might be shocked that you are way depriving yourself during the day..no wonder you are getting your hand stuck in the ice cream pint every night (hey! again i'm NOT hating on ice cream...yuuummmm)
5. Remember...It's just food. Stop beating yourself up. It's food! You have the power to choose what you eat - It doesn't have power over you - Forgive yourself and stop trying to be "perfect" - I love this quote: "Perfect never gets better."
6. Are you thirsty? Sometimes our signals get confused. How much water have you drank today? Think on it. A good rule of thumb: drink half of your body weight (lbs) in ounces of water each day.
7. Are you getting in your nutrients? When your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs it has you constantly reaching for more - More cravings. Not feeling full. Because it getting satisfied from the things you are feeding it. SO How do i ensure I'm getting all that I need? My daily Shakeology is what i've added along with an outlook of eating 80/20 and this is what I've noticed: no cravings for pop, no more afternoon slump, skin and hair and nails that grow faster and are clearer. and I'm NOT CONSTANTLY searching for junk. Now if you know me at all - you know I will never go without a nightly sweet treat OR a day without chocolate. I'm all about treating yourself. Moderation my friends -
What are some of your favorite snacks? What do you crave? Sweet? Salty? Both?
Cookie and Treats Baker. R.N. Nutrition Nerd. Runner. <3 Coffee. Fitness. Foodie. In pursuit of finding my own kind of balance...
Peppermint Cocoa Shake for the Holidays!
Weekly Recap, Links from Around the Web and Almost 30
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately