Love me a clean fridge...don't you? Except when there isn't food...which happened to me this weekend! Took it as an *opportunity* to start fresh! ha! - Read on to check out what I got and how I updated my grocery list and pantry staples...
I don't know what it is but there is something about a CLEAN fridge that makes me happy. I can't STAND it when it's disorganized and/or just DIRTY! So since my fridge was pretty much EMPTY i gave it a goo back too! I just fill a bucket with dawn dishsoap and hot water, grab a washcloth and towel and SCRUB! I also removed the drawers and got after those too. - Don't forget the door! We house all the condiments in the door of the fridge..so I removed those and got after those too. Check your "best by" dates on your condiments - I am guilty of having a couple bottles that were waaaaayyy past due! GROSS.
So after all my scrub a dub dubbing this is what I was left with before shopping!
please note there was about four eggs in that carton, about a quarter cup of egg whites, some strawberries, hummus and some greens that were NOT very green any more and may or may not have been a bit slimey...so there's that...
SOOOO where do you start when you basically have to start at the beginning?
Take inventory and start a list of what you want and what you will USE! For me I have a Google doc saved of my favorite grocery items and pantry stuff too! I did refer back to that to see what we need and just from shopping in the past I have a little bit of an idea of what we need and use.
Just start. Sometimes that is the hardest part! Either take pen to paper or start a list digitally. I use a combination of the two! When we run out of something or I think of something I add it to an app in my phone called Google Keep. I've really been loving that app for making lists! - Do you have an app you prefer to use for lists? or are you pen and paper?
Soooo I sat down and made my list. I usually do my shopping at a couple different places - including Costco and either Target or the local grocery store Hornbachers is my favorite for getting stocked up! Since there is only two of us we don't need EVERYTHING in bulk from Costco, but I do get quite a bit from there! - Made my list and it was time to shop!
Part one of the goods - All from Costco!
- Baby Spinach Greens
- Sweet Kale Salad - been loving this for work salads..I don't use the provided mixins or dressing
- Asian Chopped Salad - LOVING this mix too!
- Sweet Mini Peppers - After I got home I got these washed and chopped! I chopped most but ALSO left some in strips
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms - Also transferred these into a gallon size ziploc bag after wiping them with damp paper towels
- Eggs! - We use a lot of them!
- a new find...Pre-Cut Squash - Going to roast some this week!
- Seasoned Roast Beef for packing Lunches for B
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast - I have been loving this find for a while!
- Taboule Salad - another new find! I'll let you know what I think!
Egg White Cartons - six per box - ALWAYS have these on hand
- Frozen Chicken Breasts - individually packaged and are SUPER handy
- Sweet and Salty Almond Nature Valley Bars - what can I say the sample lady got me!
The rest of the stuff I picked up at Target - the items we didn't need in bulk.
- milk 2% for B
- yum butter peanut butter
- individual packed of peanut butter and almond butter for an upcoming trip!
- Dip for veggies/crackers - tried a new Chobani onion one - great for lunches for B
- Joseph's lavash flat breads
- Broccoli Steamer Bag
- Daiya shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded DAIRY cheese
- cottage cheese for B (Old Home is his fav!)
- baby carrots
After I got home and unpacked my haul it was time to do a bit of prep work!
- washed and chopped the onions and peppers
- took chicken breasts out to thaw, season and later BAKE to have on hand for the week
- cleaned the mushrooms and put in gallon sized ziploc
Beautiful right? AND it gave me a chance to REDO my pantry and grocery list of staples for my clients! AND I have some new recipes and food prep tips in the works! - If you would like a copy please email me! Of course my monthly fitness and nutrition clients get all of it FIRST and I still have three spots left for my October group! If you would like to hear more..Please let me know!
What are your grocery must haves?
Any recent fun finds??
Runner. Lifter. Girlboss. Entrepreneur. Nurse. Coach.
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately