Doesn't it seem like vegan and all the nut milks are all the rage these days? So why are so many people going cow milk free? I'm not here to "convince" you one way is better than another, just simply to share my own experience with you and some of the research I have dug up!
Dairy Free...Why Me?
Well known MD Mark Hyman is quoted, "Dairy is nature's perfect food...but only if you are a calf." Say what? BUT aren't we supposed to DRINK ALL OF OUR MILK TO BE STRONG LIKE YOUR FATHER, to get all of our calcium in and keep our bones and teeth strong? I'm not here to hate on milk or other dairy but I just want to share my experience and also show you some of the research so you can come to your own conclusion.
To be honest I've never been much of a milk drinker - I remember even as a child begging my mom for water instead to drink with supper. I would have it on cereal, oatmeal or in a smoothie/shake but was never really a fan of drinking it straight up. I've also though loved cheese, ice cream, yogurt etc. A funny thing happened halfway through college though...it started making me sick. Like having a half cup of my FAVORITE cottage cheese and it would hang out in the back of my throat for hours...until the inevitable would happen.(i'll spare you the details. Samesies with anything like creamy soups, really thick ice cream....etc - sooo ever since I started making small changes and am mostly dairy free. I don't even miss it- but thank the lord for lactaid - because I am my father's daughter...I love ice cream! So anywho..here is some of the other fun facts I have found since researching this for a while.
1. A recent 12 year Harvard study that studied 77, 761 women nurses found NO evidence that drinking milk on the daily reduced bone fractures - in fact there was shown MORE risk for hip fracture from increased dairy intake vs calcium intake from non dairy sources. Dairy is SUPER acidic and may draw calcium FROM your bones in order to neutralize it in your body...
2. About 75% of the world can't digest dairy properly - hello bloating..indigestion...nausea...cramps diarrhea...
3. Dairy has been linked to increased risk for cancer because it is so inflammatory. ALSO causing skin breakouts... AND due to the amount of hormones in milk THAT affects you the drinker of it also!
4. Have sinus issues? Try going dairy free. MANY that have suffered with chronic sinus inflammation, sinus headaches and have been searching for answered for years have had MUCH IMPROVEMENT by going dairy free.
5. Until 10,000 we were unable to domesticate animals therefore did NOT drink cow milk! Between the ages of 2 and 5 we actually start to LOSE the enzymes that help break down milk sugars aka lactase in our guts. So basically our bodies are losing the ability to break down dairy when we are TRYING so hard to digest it. CAUSING INFLAMMATION. IRRITABLE BOWEL. And other ugly uncomfortable feelings...
SOOO just curious? Are you dairy free? Why or why not? Would you consider trying to eliminate dairy as a trial? Post your experiences below!
Runner. Lifter. Girlboss. Entrepreneur. Nurse. Coach.
Weekly Recap, Links from Around the Web and Almost 30
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately