Happy Belated Nurse's Week to all you Nurses out there! I mean ALL of you - STUDENTS too! ALSO a big congrats to all of you graduating this spring...nursing and other professional also. Pat yourself on the back - it's a huge accomplishment!
We had some fun this week where I work to surprise our nursing staff and make them feel appreciated. I may be biased, but I'm fairly certain we have the best team around...
Some cake pop magic happened here on the home front. Was my first attempt! But I think they turned out pretty cute and everyone seemed to approve. We also did k-cups and bagels one morning - i'm telling you. Caffeinate and feed the nurses and we will be happy!
Nurses Week got me thinking back to my graduation FIVE years ago - seriously...where does the time go. Thought the timing would be perfect to give my own top five advice...
Nurse's Don't Forget ...The Top Five
1. Coffee. Learn to drink it. Learn to love it. It will be what gets you through those night shifts and it's the simple thing that has brought me joy! Try NOT to load it full of crap like 2 lbs of creamer and sugar - if you do - work on weaning yourself off. I promise you will thank me for the gut ache i'm preventing you.
2. Do what you can to the best of your ability. Even the simple things. I'm NOT saying you have to do them perfectly. But do your best. There are always be patients and things you really can't fix - and you have to be ok with that. Is it easy? Absolutely not - but if you know you are and have done your best there is no way you should be disappointed. Do you job with dignity and give your patients dignity even on their last breath. Grab the extra warm blanket. Push for the MD to give you the orders that you want for them. You can always be proud of a job well done and it shapes the legacy you will one day leave behind.
3. Families. They are going to drive you absolutely bonkers. A million questions. You will repeat yourself seventeen thousands times because now Uncle George who hasn't seen your patient in fifteen years now wants to know every detail of the plan of care. While you need to have patience..and believe me it's not easy..know that it's ok to set boundaries. Have the balls to talk to the family about someone being the representative. Have the balls to limit family time - patients need rest. Be the patient advocate - and while its AWESOME to have family involved in care - there also needs to be limitations also.
4. Don't be the crabby nurse. We will all have our days...Nursing is stressful and you need to find something to keep the joy and the spark alive. We are HORRIBLE patients. But you NEED to sleep. You NEED to exercise. And while we are on our feet a lot i'm talking about SUSTAINED ELEVATED HEART RATE for 30 minutes at least five days a week. You NEED to drink water and you NEED to eat a healthy balance. There is gonna be crap food all around - so plan ahead. Stop shoving donuts down your face and shove some almonds, protein bar or even better some Shakeology down your throat. Your energy will be better and believe me..no one wants a hangry nurse.
Find something outside of work that brings you joy. For me - it's coaching. It's helping people in a different way and building my dream outside of a nursing lifestyle. Like I was saying - nurses and medical staff usually are the unhealthiest bunch. I host challenge groups monthly where I help people on the road to a healthier lifestyle...and you know what profession is so very common? NURSES. We don't often practice what we preach...it's time to change that. An unhealthy person in both mental and physical aspects can NOT help others. You simply can't pour from an empty cup? Want to hear how I can help you?
Email me: email@example.com
5. Final word of advice. Versed. If you got it for your anxious patient...by all means use it.
Where are my nurses at? Did you do anything special for nurse's week?
What advice would you add to the list?
Cookie and Treats Baker. R.N. Nutrition Nerd. Runner. <3 Coffee. Fitness. Foodie. In pursuit of finding my own kind of balance...
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM
Top Tips for Getting up in the Mornings and not Hating it (as Much)
Peppermint Cocoa Shake for the Holidays!
Weekly Recap, Links from Around the Web and Almost 30
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately