Whether it's working full time outside the home a 9-5, 12 hours nursing shifts that vary, or staying at home with your crazy kids it's HARD to fit in a workout too! Most days especially when our LIFE feels like our workout! Some days DO call for rest, but being active is what keeps you active and the benefits of exercise definitely show itself into all areas of your health: physical, emotional and into your family life as well - and with your crazy schedule it CAN be done! Today on the blog I'm featuring FIVE of my top tips for fitting in some time saving tips for making it all work for you.
5 Tips to Make Workouts Fit your Crazy Schedule
Working as a nurse my work schedule varies greatly. Working out is something that I really enjoy so I have been making it fit me for years! Don't get me wrong, I don't do it perfectly! It's all trying to listen to your body, experimentation and doing what works best for each person.
1. Schedule it! Know what workout you are going to be doing and write it down in your calendar or planner just like you would a doctors appointment or work meeting! There will be things that come up and you might have to be flexible, but once it is planned out and scheduled you are MUCH more likely to get it done!
2. Get up a little earlier and get it done first thing in the morning! I have found if I wait until the end of the day I'm MUCH less likely to get it done. To save time in the mornings do a little preparation in the evenings the night before: Set out your pre workout, set out your clothes, pick out what you are wearing to work, pack your lunch - etc. THESE shirts are a great addition to your wardrobe AND gives you a chance to support the British Red Cross.
By preparing the night before, you don't have to think about it in the morning. You just get up and get it done!
3. Find a supportive community and accountability group. Tell someone about your goal of working out. Find a family member or supportive friend that shares the same goals that will hold you accountable and help you stick to your goals! In need of someone? Drop me an email HERE with subject line: GOAL to find out about access to a positive community.
4. Think outside the gym. Not all workouts HAVE to be done at the gym! There are plenty of options to workout from home or on the go (maybe even on your lunch break!) Fit in some squats while drying your hair, do some planks for an ab workout while on the floor with your kids, bust out a dance party with your family or coworkers, hold a pushup contest at the office or even taking the stairs versus always taking the elevator. I even take my workouts outside sometimes! My clients and I have been LOVING utilizing Beachbody on Demand - which is an online workout library accessible from anywhere! There are PLENTY of options available with this service and I explain more here in THIS VIDEO.
5. My biggest and best tip? MAKE IT FUN! Yes getting into a routine may feel like work at times, but once you find something you love it should NOT always feel like a chore. Working out is empowering, makes you feel strong,brings you ENERGY and helps you set a healthy example of what being active looks like to your family, friends, kids and coworkers. There is a workout out there for everyone. Keeping trying different things? Hate running? Try dancing, or lifting, or kickboxing, crossfit - or whatever else strikes your interest. Think about the things that have brought you joy in the past - and bring that back! Then KNOW YOUR WHY for doing it and keep that at the fore front of your mind. And remember...I'm always here to help you started and keep you going on your journey to your best you!
What are YOUR tips to making your workout fit into your busy life?
Which one of these tips helped you the most?
And Happy MONDAY! What is on everyone's agenda this week???
Cookie and Treats Baker. R.N. Nutrition Nerd. Runner. <3 Coffee. Fitness. Foodie. In pursuit of finding my own kind of balance...
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM
Top Tips for Getting up in the Mornings and not Hating it (as Much)
Peppermint Cocoa Shake for the Holidays!
Weekly Recap, Links from Around the Web and Almost 30
Thoughts of the Week
Thinking out Loud -
Real Talk Saturday
Cauliflower Rice Stirfry
Random Thoughts this Week
What I'm Loving Lately